While it seems that more and more people have given up on the idea of making New Year’s Resolutions, a study by YouGov (an online polling site), found that almost 70% of respondents said that they would be setting goals for themselves in 2018 – and hopefully attaining them!
Across the board the top 5 New Year’s Resolutions are:
- Get Fit / Get in Shape
- Lose Weight
- Enjoy Life to the Fullest
- Save More and Spend Less
- Spend More Time with Family and Friends
Many of these and other top resolutions seem attainable. One of my favorites was to floss regularly! But how many people do stick to their guns and spend the new year trying to save more and spend less or lose weight?
Different polls show different results. Some say that as many as 43% of those who make a resolution for the new year quit before January is over, and that as many as 66 – 80% quit before the year is out.
So how can you set reasonable and attainable goals – and achieve them. A few words of advice:
- Make ONE main resolution, rather than having a laundry list of accomplishments for the year. If your goal is to get in better shape, join a gym, walk with a friend or make sure you and man’s best friend go walking together. That doesn’t mean that you can’t leave the floss by the sink and remember to get your gums in shape too.
- Tell people what you are aiming for – they can be a source of inspiration and support throughout the year
- Regularly remind yourself of why you want to attain your goal – if saving money throughout the year will give you and your family a much needed and fun vacation, start talking about what you all want to do and make some plans.
- If you have a set back in your goal to get fit, such as a two-week bout with a cold, where you were unable to go to the gym, don’t let that stop you. When you feel up to it, get back to working out. There are 50 weeks left in the year!
- You don’t have to make your resolution on New Year’s Eve. When you get ready to set off on a year of working towards a goal, put your plan in place, and take concrete steps towards achieving it.
Whatever your goal for 2018 is, Allen Investigations, Allen Bail, and P.I. Cruises want to wish you a happy, healthy, and accomplishment filled new year!